View Single Post
Old 11-Sep-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
elmo

Howdy neighbor! I recognized some of those stations then realized you were in Gastonia. You've got some crazy strong signals there in your backyard. You won't have a problem getting those.

Don't get a pre-amp; you'll likely overload.

As for the antenna on the roof, I'm not sure of the model it may be, but it looks to be a full range VHF/UHF design. If it's physically in good shape, it should work for you. Your lowest VHF channel is 11 - WTVI, so VHF-Hi is all you need. But before I'd get a new antenna, I'd test out what I have on hand. Newer antenna's are nothing magic, despite the hype of some companies with their NASA scientist designs! Did you use that antenna before or was it there already? I'm wondering how much the rotor would be needed. Regardless, get a fresh install of coax RG-6 cable run up to it, because you need that even with a new antenna. I'd start out by aiming it east towards Charlotte. I'd leave the rotor out of the mix for now. Have the Sharp do an antenna scan and see what you get. If it comes in good, you may be able to clean up the installation a bit by removing the rotor assembly.

As for weather sealing, search for Coax Seal.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote