View Single Post
Old 29-Sep-2011, 3:05 AM   #7
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post

As for features, my top picks are: (1) On screen guide with listing of future shows with full description of shows and their rez (720p vs 1080i, etc), (2) ability to add individual channels manually in addition to full scan (3) have a signal meter easy to get to and not buried in the some hidden diagnostics menu.

LED refers to the backlighting used for LCD TVs. Older and low-end sets use fluorescent backlights. Fluorescent backlights may suddenly and unexpectantly go out.

A few more observations:
  1. Virtually all HDTVs show the resolution of displayed content.
  2. In my experience, LG sets require the least rescanning.
  3. A signal strength meter is OK, but is hardly a deal maker or deal breaker. These meters are not calibrated to any particular standard. My Samsung has a strength meter. Sometimes, I get poor reception on a large number of bars. At other times, I get good reception on a small number of bars.
  4. These sets tend to have a lot of features. There is no way to make them all easily accessible. Design engineers must prioritize. From where I sit, many features should take accessibility priority over diagnostics.
  5. TV Guide's publisher no longer owns TV Guide on Screen. This feature is now owned by Rovi Corporation, the owner of Roxio and the developers of other digital entertainment products. Certain model TV sets and other consumer electronic devices from Sony, Mitsubishi, and Sanyo feature TVGoS built-in. Smart TVs from Samsung rely on the Rovi Listings application.
  6. The Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) is part of the ATSC standard. This is a program guide that is available to each ATSC subchannel. Several years ago, I purchased a Samsung ATSC tuner that combined PSIP banners from all available subchannels to produce a very nice program listing. It is not as slick a TVGoS, but it is sweet. Not all tuners and TV sets implement PSIP. Not all broadcasters use it. However, Samsung and LG both support it. If you see an [INFO] button on the remote control, then the TV set likely supports PSIP.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote