View Single Post
Old 2-Dec-2011, 7:26 PM   #1
GroundUrMast

Low VHF reception (2 - 6) Experience & Opinions

My personal experience does not include reception of ATSC on the low VHF channels 2 through 6. There are no local low-VHF stations on the air in the Seattle market at this time. I'd like to invite those with real world experience to weigh in on the subject.

In particular, what is a practical minimum NM goal for reliable reception in the low-VHF band?
Though I'm aware that there is more electrical noise in the spectrum between 54 and 88 MHz compared to the higher TV broadcast allocations, I don't consider myself an authority with 'hard data' on the exact difference between each band's average or quiescent noise level. My research leads me to believe that the low-VHF band is particularly prone to impulse noise. Characterization of impulse noise would need to account for at least amplitude and duration, data I have not found as of yet.
What other pitfalls or hurdles are common and how do you overcome them.

What are the differences between generations of DTV tuners, (related to low-VHF reception)?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Dec-2011 at 8:10 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote