View Single Post
Old 14-Dec-2011, 6:19 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Nit-Picking Alert

Yes, even the 'reputable' advertiser is often guilty of using words and statements that pander to what the consumer wants or expects to hear. However, I'm reluctant to throw all advertising under the bus... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2884 - post #11. I believe it's my responsibility to educate myself as a consumer.

@ Red Hazard, I'm 'bugged' by phrases like "digitally tuned". Advertising that uses similar terms, is at best, accommodating the ignorance of the consumer, at worse, deceiving the consumer. However, I have to disagree with "...ATSC OTA signals are analog until converted to digital in the demodulator inside the ATSC tuner."

I would not characterize an un-modulated carrier as either analog or digital. It is the original of itself, not a copy or representation of anything else in either a digital or analog form.

I would describe the information modulated into a carrier as either analog or digital when speaking of NTSC and ATSC respectively. Both signal types are a copy of or representation of video and audio. I would argue that ATSC signals are digital at the modulator, through the transmitter and its antenna, through the air, through the receiving antenna system and through the tuner.

I think your point is that antennas are neutral regarding modulation. Antennas are not a part of the modulation or demodulation process. The antenna simply needs to accommodate the RF carrier(s) of interest. Antenna gain, directivity and bandwidth can be measured with either analog or digital measurement techniques and equipment.

END of picking, the nit got away

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote