View Single Post
Old 29-May-2012, 8:57 PM   #6
AtLarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Ah... you were thinking of 'daisy-chaining' splitters. A preferred system design in applications such as mid-sized and larger apartments uses a high output distribution amplifier together with feed-through taps. That's the subject of the article I linked to.

Feed-through taps are somewhat like splitters but provide high isolation between the trunk ports and the drop port(s). They have the advantage of little loss between the two trunk ports and no need to terminate the drop port(s). The down-side is that you need to engineer the system to provide reasonably equal signal levels into the distribution amplifier. Here is an example of a programmable/agile filter/amplifier intended for use in a commercial quality MATV system: http://www.dastechnology.co.uk/docs/...28SAF7U%29.pdf A calibrated signal level meter is needed to adjust the system.

In a three story twelve unit apartment, it may be less expensive and easier to maintain if you use a passive 3-way splitter at the antenna. Then run a 'trunk' to each floor. If needed, on each floor, a CM-3414 4-port distribution amplifier would provide an output to each unit. There would be plenty of signal power to drive a passive 4-way splitter in each unit.
Good to know. Your right about the trunk system being the better way. I was just trying to save cable cost and separate out the cost of the amps and power to run them by each condo unit. For sure I don't want to engineer more into it than necessary. Now I see the cable is really cheap anyway so no point in cutting a corner there. It's hard to know how many will go in on this install right away. That link is good but way too deep for now.

I like that CM3414 but since it's powered, the unit on the top floor would have to supply it. Some might get chintzy about that. The 8dB gain with it though is a nice feature. I see there is an 8 port too but it would still be short four ports if we wanted to use it for the entire building.

What is your opinion of the CM3671 antenna here:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CM-3671

Overkill for this analysis? I would be pointing around 325° true to get the best of the most important channels. Do you think any of them around 180° is realistic? Suggestion for a better antenna?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...073b0a2a6d77f7

Is there a way to determine how many antenna's / units could be supported? I was thinking 4 antenna's would be necessary to cover 3 units each in a building. Providing the attic is open enough of course and I have found no one that has ever been up there. I do not see a dB rating in the specs for the CM-3671 so it's not clear to me how much of the antenna can be usurped.

Maybe only 2 antennas and 2 of the 8 port CM-3418 would be plenty to cover all 12 units

BTW. Here's an example of the building:

The antenna(s) would be in the part of the tallest roof line over the main entry. The picture doesn't show it very well.

Last edited by AtLarge; 29-May-2012 at 9:12 PM. Reason: More information
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote