View Single Post
Old 25-Jun-2012, 6:36 AM   #85
ant

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your best hope for receiving the maximum possible stations involves mounting outside, high, clear of obstructions. I understand there are several reasons that may not be a viable option in your case. You and your family are able to understand those limiting factors far better than I.

That said, I'm suggesting that if there is an acceptable mounting location, you compare the list of received channels, when using the CM4228 and then the ANT-751. I think you'll find that the CM4228 receives channels the ANT-751 can not, and that the ANT-751 in turn, receives signals the CM4228 does not. If that's the case, combining the two would provide the more viewing options than either lone antenna could.

You had posted a photo of the back yard. How high was the antenna off the ground when you tested there? There are 10' mast sections available, I've even used the 'top rail' designed for chain-link fence systems... (got it @ Home Depot as I recall) If you have an acceptable location in the back yard, that can accommodate an elevated antenna (or two) you may find that just a few feet higher in the air gets signals that were unavailable the last time you tried in that area. Tripods intended for roof mounting can be used in ground mounted applications also.
The only mounting spots they approve is in the attic or outside under a tiled roof in front of the kitchen, hidden. They just don't want them outside to make their house ugly. For me, I don't care about the looks!

The sloped hill backyard was above the roof for sure when I was standing up with that RCA ANT751 antenna with a portable ATSC HDTV. I am about 5' so it was over my head to move around and test. I thought it was weird/odd that it did poorly up there. I guess the house's tiled roof was reflecting badly? Or maybe the trees behind me and on the sides? I would expect it to be better than the front yard!

Last edited by ant; 25-Jun-2012 at 6:39 AM.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote