View Single Post
Old 27-Mar-2012, 7:08 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

If you were using a distribution amplifier I would have suggested you could eek out a slight improvement by moving the amplification closer to the antenna. You are describing a preamplifier as opposed to a distribution amplifier, and because it has worked well for some time makes me turn my attention away from the question of system design for now.

Your description makes me think of the long wet winter we have been having here in the NW. Any water in connectors or coax will change the electrical properties of the coax in a negative way. Can you inspect the connections up at and near the antenna?

Often the most practical way to prove coax and connectors is to substitute known good parts. (I can't afford a $15K to $60K Time Domain Reflectometer when trouble shooting RG-6 or other consumer grade coax and connectors.)

It's been a while since anyone has mentioned the use of coax seal on connections exposed to the weather. Moisture can be drawn into the coax over time the temperature is low enough to allow condensation, a frequent occurrence here in the NW and elsewhere. Coax-Seal is a brand name with a long standing reputation. I believe it's available through Amazon and other online retailers. Scotch #2228 is a competing product, available at Home Depot and elsewhere. I apply vinyl electrical tape over the Coax-Seal or similar product to protect from UV rays and prevent buildup of debris on the sticky surface of the Coax-Seal material. Vinyl tape alone will not seal moisture adequately.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Mar-2012 at 7:41 AM. Reason: Grammer and Coax-Seal
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote