View Single Post
Old 22-Oct-2016, 2:22 PM   #19
richardrosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
If you want to experiment with another antenna for WFSB, I suggest the Antennas Direct 91XG or the Solid Signal HDB91X. They both have a tilt feature that allows you to tilt the front of the antenna up to capture the signal coming down from the crest of a hill. I have received several reports that it made reception possible, which otherwise was impossible.

Thanx for all the technical info. I gotta be more diligent on web-page link clicking. Didn't realize that terrain maps were available. I DID find the coverage maps, but they didn't always agree with what I was receiving .

As per co-channel on WFSB: If I COULD get WCBS out of NYC, that would be great, but I haven't been able to pull ANY signal at all from the south. When I was setting up these antennas, I tried pointing the antennas in the southerly direction, and got NO discernible signal on channel 33, or any other NYC channel. Point it east (at least in the morning), and WFSB came in strong. To my south are hills, mountains and neighbour’s houses, all quite higher than my mast.

The VHF antenna I have also has a 'tilt' adjuster. I didn't bother with it, as I figured it might cause polarization issues, but maybe I'll give that a shot (next spring). BTW, I DID try adding an extra FM Trap in-line with the VHF antenna, but didn't seem to make any difference for Ch 10 reception.

I've convinced the boss that I need better test equipment, so I have her 'permission' to purchase a more state-of-the art signal meter. The one you recommended from Solid Signal is what I will probably go with. Looks like it has a decent spectrum display, which is what appears to be essential for DTV. Come warmer weather (I don't work on the roof in the cold), I will use it to plot a possible better location for the antennas.

Thank you again for all the help and information.

Rich
richardrosa is offline   Reply With Quote