View Single Post
Old 5-Jan-2012, 7:43 AM   #13
otadtvman

See answers within your quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
My personal experience has been that for deep fringe applications, the combination of an XG-91 and a Y**713 is the pinnacle of consumer grade antennas. Agreed, they're received excellent reviewas.

If I'm fighting multipath, I look to a narrow beam, high gain antenna. Agreed.
On the other hand, If fluttering foliage is the problem, (No, evergreens - Spruce to be exact) I look to alternate mounting options and/or my chainsaw. Our backyard neighbor may be offended by the chainsaw approach.

Please don't be offended, I get the sense you hope for someone to step up and give you a money back guaranty (No thanks) or, you know in your gut that the solution is to get over (again, too $$$ - see Spruce quote below.) or around the trees. That is the plan. We have a rotator:
Quote:
From post #11: Balt. (42 mi.), Harrisburg (65-68 mi.), Lancaster (59 mi.), & York (59 mi.) are the alternatives if DC becomes problematic due to the trees.
I can't offer to buy an almost new Fracarro and I already own an XG91. I'm not suggesting you do so.
Quote:

The Norway Spruce can grow 2-3+ feet per year their first 25 years under good conditions, in heavy or poor soils they may average 1 foot per year. Soil, moisture, and adequate sunshine is everything to a plant and its growth rate. On a perfect weather year, and no competition from grass or weeds, we have seen over 6 ft of growth in one year! This spruce if given sufficient room to grow will easily grow to over 100 feet tall and be 40 feet wide with spreading branches at the base and will live over 100 years. This is not a tree for a small yard!
Despite my best efforts, I have not found anyone that owns one of their compact Sigma 6 or 9 HD UHF antennas or their BLU-920 (8' L) - most similar to the 91xg.

So there's probably no chance I will be able to find someone who has tested the two against each other.

The 91XG (7,75' L) is obviously a known performer - no risk.

The Fracarro Sigma are apealing due to their much smaller size (3' or 4.25'L) - less conspicuous & less wind resistance.

Per Sigma 6HD brochure:
Quote:
The original design of the new aerials patented by Fracarro, allows a particular directivity (with the maximum reduction in interference) and a maximum gain (17dBi*) and is also high throughout the whole reception band.

The gain acheived is comparable with an aerial twice its length!

*Sigma 9 HD - 18.5dBi
If I go this route it appears I may be the US guinea pig.

Since you own the YA-1713, have you seen these Amazon reviews? - #1 #2
Are their comments about build quality accurate?

Broadcast TV - a vital public resource

Just say "no" to a never-ending subscription TV bill that increases faster than the rate of inflation.

Last edited by otadtvman; 5-Jan-2012 at 7:50 AM. Reason: font color
otadtvman is offline   Reply With Quote