View Single Post
Old 21-Jun-2017, 12:27 AM   #55
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
200f under hood temperature
Read it again, Joe; I said alternator case (the metal housing of the alternator) temperature, not ambient temperature under the hood.
Quote:
My point is that electrical components like USVJ's, are the
most likely to fail and the most problematic......
Your point that electrical components will fail above a certain temperature is valid, but UVSJs can tolerate higher temperatures than a preamp out in the sun because they do not have any active components, just wire inductors and ceramic capacitors.

I consider the UVSJ one of the most reliable components in an antenna system.

It is so rare for a UVSJ to fail that I have never heard of it, but many preamps do fail.

I can imagine any antenna system component can fail from a lightning strike, but they are not expected to survive a strike.

Even coax will fail outside when it gets old or corroded from water entry.

Just exactly how, in detail, do you think the OP should set up his system using an A/B switch; which antennas aimed where, to get what he wants?

What happens when the viewer at TV #1 wants the switch set to "A", but the viewer at TV #2 wants the switch set to "B"?

A system with an A/B switch IS very reliable (until the switch fails), but if the TV tuners are not able to add a channel after scan, then it is necessary to rescan after switching to the other antenna. User convenience is just as important as reliability.

Last edited by rabbit73; 21-Jun-2017 at 1:11 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote