View Single Post
Old 11-Nov-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
StephanieS

Greetings,

This is a tough situation as Rabbit articulates. If I were in your position, I would raise the antenna as high as I could and take a two antenna tact separating the bands out. Being Minneapolis is so weak and in 2 edge conditions, especially on UHF I would purchase an Antennas Direct DB8e and point it magnetic 299 for UHF. For VHF, I'd continue with HBU55 at the same heading.

The HBU55 was a nice antenna, but when it comes to 2-edge UHF with very weak signals the most aggressive UHF only design is best employed. The HBU's UHF ability is somewhat less than the DB8e, especially if the signal bounces around a bit.

I would combine both signals at the mast, then feed the combined lead into the already suggested Channel master 7777. The RCA preamp is good, but you need the most aggressive on the consumer market.

If the trees are in your path, anything you do to get above them or reduce their blockage will increase chances of better reception. UHF especially is prone to being reflected by branches and foliage. It's not unusual to see trees obliterate strong signals to the point of non-reception. You might also call and ask to speak to WCCO's engineering staff. It is possible they are operating at reduced power. It's always a wise step to make sure they aren't experiencing issues before you tear your system apart.

In short:
Antenna 1: Antennas Direct DB8e (UHF) mounted at top of pole
Antenna 2: HBU55 (VHF) 3 - 4' below of DB8e
Combine signals via EU385CF VHF/UHF combiner
Channel Master 7777 preamp.

With this said and you signals being in the single digits to negative digits, don't expect perfect reception. Atmospheric fluctuations may make these signals come and go. My weakest signal is at -82dbm it fluctuates in strength during the day. I keep it in my Samsung 99% of the time. Yours are even weaker that that. Thus, some pixellation and drop outs the UHF signals I would expect.

KTSP would fall under the paragraph above with this setup. In theory, you could get it up to a decodable level. However, I wouldn't expect it to be 100%.

Go wave the clause the FCC says you can install a roof antenna without repercussions. Challenge the Association on this.

Bottom line you must elevate the antenna(s) to improve your chances. Your weak signals require every bit of assistance they can get.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 11-Nov-2015 at 12:35 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote