View Single Post
Old 1-Jan-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
greenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Well, that decades old technology is still bringing you the best picture available. That's what's really sad about cable/dish, but they're in the business of showing you commercials so more compression = more channels = more commercials.

The top of the house doesn't have to be the location. My antenna is mounted on the lower roof on the back, as it has to point across the back yard. Only my next door neighbor can see it. He told me I could get basic cable (locals plus some junk) for $25/mth. I said "I can get it and more for free, with better picture quality too."

You can try the attic as well. Just test it out - no harm - but signals will be compromised of course. Just go as high as you can. I have a little DB2 in the attic that picks up a nearby signal for one station, which is good enough.

XBMC is cool. I've been playing w/it and now use it for Amazon videos, and likely more in the future. Next step is to setup some DVR software for it.

Wonderful news! I still have a couple months on my TV contract to figure everything out and purchase equipment (any recommended vendors? I like to support vendors that support communities such as this one over just the cheapest option). But with those mounting options being ok I think I'll be cutting the cord in 2013!

also the antenna you first recommended to me, RCA ANT-751, seems smaller (can't find good specs on the size yet) and cheaper but with less range (but I am halfway through it's range so prob ok?). I may get that and try out it. If it doesn't work well here my mother in law could definitely use it and she is much closer to the city

Last edited by greenguy; 1-Jan-2013 at 10:57 PM.
greenguy is offline   Reply With Quote