View Single Post
Old 30-Mar-2013, 1:46 AM   #11
Ynot713

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Yes, I agree completely.

Signals with a noise margin (NM) in the air of 30 dB and greater should be able to drive a passive 8-way splitter with no amplification and still leave power to drive long coax runs. The signal from WFXV is far more powerful, enough to easily overload most preamplifiers.

You started your trouble shooting well. You've proven you have a usable signal at the antenna and at the end of a moderate length of coax. What you have not proven is the integrity of the coax from the roof to the basement.

I strongly agree with the suggestion of removing both the preamp and power injector. Then, connect a TV to the coax in the basement. You should have no trouble getting enough signal power there. If you don't get reliable reception on a single set in the basement, it suggests you have a bad coax or connector (or both).

I won't dispute that you see a change in the symptoms when you add the amp into the mix... I'm suggesting that there is an underlying problem that needs to be found and fixed... once you do that, the amplifier will not be needed or even helpful.
Thanks for all the suggestions as I am still trying to troubleshoot the issue.

I did hook a TV directly to the line going into the basement with no preamp attached. I got most of the stations very well, but not everything I know I could and should get. As soon as I hooked the preamp and plugged in the injector through the same connection I got nothing at all.

I then tried to run the same TV in the basement through the open splitter connector and again my signal automatically dropped to just the stations off the local tower which is about 7 stations. With the preamp connected and injector plugged in (before the signal is split) still takes away the signal for all stations.

The confusing part to me is that I used this same basic setup before with a cheap indoor antenna w/ a built in preamp mounted in the attic and injector in the same location. With that I got like 26+ stations on 3 different TV's in my house at once. This was all coming off of the same splitter and coaxial that I am currently using.

Really I am trying to figure out if this preamp is a defective unit. If that's the case, I can at least start by returning it. Should I really be losing ALL signals when the injector is plugged in even with running it through the splitter?

I am now confident that my coaxials and connectors are all functioning properly.

Again I'm not arguing with any of the advice put out there. I'm merely stating what I have seen actually happen with regards to my reception and the use of a different preamp.

As of right now I'm only pulling a signal from local towers when the signal is run through the splitter. I'm pulling a better signal but not the best I've seen when I run it direct to a TV. Through the preamp with power injector plugged in, ALL signals fail no matter what the setup.

I understand that I am close to several towers and I agree that I do not need a preamp for these towers. But this only gets me like 7 stations. I should be getting all of the stations 50mi + to the west. I cant seem to get these through a splitter at this time.

Again, this exact same setup originally worked great with a cheap indoor antenna w/ a built in preamp in my attic. I can't understand why it is not working with an upgraded antenna and amp on my roof.

My internet setup is completely separate from my antenna setup.

As for the splitters, I'd rather not buy brand new ones, but will as a last resort. Especially because I've seen them previously working as they are.

Again I thank everyone for taking the time to read these long posts and for all your help and advice. I will continue to try different options to troubleshoot.

I would like to know is there any way to actually test this preamp to be certain whether it is working properly or not?

Thanks Again.
Ynot713 is offline   Reply With Quote