View Single Post
Old 8-Nov-2011, 7:24 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Thanks for the details.

So, 138' of RG-6 will have about 9 dB of loss at the upper end of the UHF band. (Assuming 6.5 dB loss per 100')

The AP8725 is rated at 28 dB gain (UHF). The HDA-100 is rated at 15 dB gain. Both amplifiers are rated at about 3 dB NF which means that even if the HDA-100 is not overloaded by the preamplifier the combined noise figure of the two amplifiers is about 6 dB. The NF of each amplifier is a negative, a source of noise added to the signal.

I'd like to suggest an experiment.

Try connecting a single TV to the output of the AP8725. (I'm thinking that it may be easy to disconnect the cable from the input of the HDA-100 and connect that cable to a TV.)

My suspicion is that the new antenna and coax repair is delivering more signal to the HDA-100, overloading it to some degree. I'm also thinking the AP8725 is possibly over-driven... but I don't want to make you lower the tower unless we prove the need.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote