Thread: Antenna Poles
View Single Post
Old 13-Nov-2019, 7:24 AM   #19
djtpedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I've noticed most Antenna Masts are just hollow pipes with the coax running along outside of them.

If it is a hollow pipe, why wouldn't someone run the coax through the pipe?

It seems like this would protect the coax from falling limbs or whatever.

Just curious. Maybe it's an RF/Faraday Cage thing.
I'm going to be installing an F.M. antenna on an outbuilding in the near future and I had the exact same idea. What I have done so far is I bought a 10' section of 1/2" galvanized rigid metallic conduit (1/2" because it's going to mount directly to a standard electrical box with 1/2" knockouts) that's threaded at both ends. I then bought a galvanized 1/2" coupling and a strain-relief connector (A.K.A. a cable gland), and I fed some standard RG-6 coaxial cable through the conduit, out through the strain-relief connector (which I then tightened to ensure it is raintight), through a small clamp on the antenna boom, and then into the antenna's balun's F connector after crimping on a compression connector.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting that the cable run directly out of the top of the conduit. Personally I would avoid this, as it basically causes rain to end up in... places, i.e. you'd be opening an ugly and expensive can of worms. I would cut pipe threads in the top of the pipe, and then install a proper coupling and compression-ferrule connector so that water doesn't leak into the mast.

Better yet, if you've got some caulk on hand, I would then caulk all areas where water ingress could become an issue, including the connector boot, the strain-relief connector, the twin-lead bolts on the antenna's dipole (if they are exposed), and so on.

Hope this helps and good luck with reception!