Thread: Antenna Poles
View Single Post
Old 8-Feb-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
kieths

I mounted a Winegard HD8200U on a 10 foot section of chain link fence pipe, using a chimney corner mount kit. It holds well, but the Front-To-Back rejection is giving me fits. I'm surrounded by both high and low powered TV stations here, and pointing it in ANY direction draws in a weak station 'here', while effectively shunning several 'there'.

The wife veto'd me getting a rotor / rotator. I used to have one, turned it enough times to annoy her, I guess ;-). So I decided on adding a second antenna (following her wishes to NOT get a rotator, I had no other choice but replace the rotator with an eyesore...not one, but two monster antennas. Se la vie).

The second antenna I added to the mess was a 'like new', open box Antennacraft HD1850, very heavily discounted at a local electronics surplus store. But to put two same-band antennas on the same pole, they have to be separated to avoid interference with each other.

The two antennas need to be separated by about 1/2 the wave length of the lowest channel used on either antenna. Channel 2 is about 54 MHz, with a wave length of 5.56 meters. Half of 5.56 meters is 2.78 meters, or 9.12 feet. So the booms of the two antennas need to be separate by just over 9 feet (or more). So....I need to get another pole!

Mounting the antennas at the right separation is the biggest challenge, but there is more. Both lead wires need to be the same length (to keep the two antennas in phase). To join the leads, I'm using a cheapy indoor TV signal splitter in reverse, hidden inside a weatherproof box mounted on the chimney. A single lead goes down to the TV for strong signals in both directions.

My worry? The two ten foot poles. If you've never looked at a fully assembled HD8200U, or an HD1850, you should look up the specs on them. The chain link fence pipe is pretty stiff, but only 3~4 feet hold onto the chimney, leaving the remaining 16~17 feet gasping to hold the two monster antennas like sails against the winds. Might have to have the 'guys' help on this one eventually...

Last edited by kieths; 8-Feb-2011 at 11:13 PM.
kieths is offline   Reply With Quote