View Single Post
Old 14-Apr-2017, 5:53 PM   #16
mikecandu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Such a filter would have to have so many poles to provide the cutoff frequencies that tight and the slopes that sharp that it would be somewhere extraordinarily expensive or impossible. You only have a couple hundred kHz to work in and you'd need the filter's attenuation deep enough to allow the weakened signal to be within 30-35 dB of the strong local signal..
I was wondering that myself. The sample graph he (Jan_Jenca) has on ebay shows a deep notch with very little spill over to the adjacent channels. Last year I downloaded some software and thought about designing my own notch filter but the tolerances on the capacitors and the inductors were impossibly tight to meet. Maybe they have magical components in Slovakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

I do have good news and bad news.

The good news is that WUTV is moving form channel 14 (CITS gets 14 in Phase 4) to channel 36 in Phase 4 of the repack.

The bad news is that CHCJ is right next door to you on channel 35 and they're staying put. You'd be swapping one adjacent channel problem for another

This is more good news then bad. The big problem with CHCH is it is almost in the same angular direction as WUTV. I do have a rotor so I could compensate somewhat, and occasionally my tuner would lock in to WUTV.

CHCJ is west of me while WUTV is east south east of me. From the specs it looks like the DB8e is mostly directional so I think I'll be okay, or at least the situation isn't quite so hopeless. Also the antenna has better gain around 35 then at 14.

Mike
mikecandu is offline   Reply With Quote