View Single Post
Old 24-Nov-2014, 8:37 PM   #9
vbatech

@ADTech. Thanks for your time and perspective. I have measured gain at 4.3dBd, but was hoping the CEA certification process would fill in the rest of the details.

Your point that if it works, it works, is well made. I am only focusing on the San Diego market where, as you say, I am dealing with multi-point tower locations, as well as varying broadcast frequencies and power. It is a market where my omnidirectional antenna works well, and my biggest marketing hurdle is convincing landlords and condo associations that 1996 FCC rules grant tenants the legal right to install an antenna. Despite all the benefits of uni-directionals, they are considered freakish, unwelcome building protuberances, and even dangerous to have on a patio or balcony. (By the way, the VHF channels on Mt. Soledad in La Jolla are the antennaweb "blue" channels I have no problem receiving 20 miles to the south/southeast without an amplifier.)

I agree with you that channel repacking is likely a long way off, but I wouldn't count on politics turning back the telecom lobby. My goal is to limit the impact on condo and apartment dwellers to having to periodically rescan channels once the repack begins.

Best regards.
vbatech is offline   Reply With Quote