Thread: Antenna help
View Single Post
Old 4-Sep-2014, 6:25 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I would not have suggested the LAVA due to the widely reported quality issues, unbelievable ad claims re. 150 mile range and the built-in amplifier which may be overloading or generating harmonic interference.

To be fair, trees are a significant problem that can be troublesome when even the highest quality antenna is selected. Aiming through structures including your own causes plenty of reliability issues as well. If a chainsaw or dozer is not an option, you're left with mounting location and height as your tools to overcome the challenge.

Coax that has been wet, or physically damaged can produce trouble that seems to effect some, but not all channels. Loose or corroded contacts in connectors can be hard to spot, so substituting a known good cable is often the easiest and least expensive diagnostic method.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd make every reasonable effort to avoid aiming through tress and structures. I'd start by selecting a non-amplified antenna such as the RCA ANT-751R. I'd test reception with it, a 50' piece of new coax and one TV. From there I could determine if a secondary antenna or other solution was needed. (I prefer to avoid rotators. I have more than one TV in the house so I would like to avoid making one viewer loose there signal when the antenna turns.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote