View Single Post
Old 29-Aug-2016, 4:54 PM   #15
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Intial repairs and observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Start with a new matching transformer (balun) and a new length of RG6 coax. At nearly 15 years of age, the odds are high that one or both have suffered water infiltration or corrosion.

Lowes now carries an inexpensive matching transformer (RCA brand), it appears to be identical to the one that Winegard is using on their production of RCA-branded antennas. It performs well, but the leads are very fragile and care is required to keep from breaking the wimpy spade lugs or wire leads.

BTW, is he re-using the coax from the satellite install? If so, were any sat-specific devices (multi-switch, diplexer, etc) removed first? Failure to do so is a common failure among sat-to-antenna transition projects. We get those calls all the time.
I'll start with a new balun and possibly new RG-6 but that would be a project due to fact it was installed when the house was new.

On a single antenna system, does polarity matter on the balun? Also, I just found out from the owner that there is some sort of board with all the connections in his basement that the satellite installer rigged up.

I'll take a look at that first. Maybe, in order to run one coax cable to support both systems, that here is a splitter or combiner or diplexer that is pulling the signal down.

I really like my 91-XG. I should ask you, is there a VHF kit for it for his set-up?

I don't think he'll go for a 2 antenna solution... I want to suggest 91XG to him or at least a HD7698P.

Would you suggest something else?

Can he can get Chicago and Milwaukee off one antenna? Maybe he can dump the rotator since they are approx. 180 degrees off. (Chicago 166 magnetic and Milwaukee 2 degrees magnetic).

Rabbit has suggested removing reflectors on other antennas on my project, I should have tried that.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote