View Single Post
Old 4-Sep-2017, 2:05 PM   #14
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Comments regarding coax cable

Quote:
I bought a Belden compression tool and a $56 box of Ideal compression connectors, get it home and find out that the hardest part of the process... pushing the damn connector onto the wire..
That indicates you probably have QS cable but bought "regular" RG6 connectors. If you have to struggle to get the connector on, you have a mismatch.

Quote:
I was also stunned to learn that all the cable is now copper plated steel crap.
Not, by any means. The cheaper stuff at the big box stores is usually CCS. FWIW, solid copper core is only needed in rare situations, CCS works most of the time.
Quote:
. it surely won't have the discontinuity problem caused by bending steel which is breaking the copper plating.
That would be highly unlikely as copper is much more malleable than steel. The issue with exceeding the bend radius is that the dielectric gets deformed and the center conductor gets pushed closer to the shield. This can cause a frequency-specific "suck-out" that can kill a narrow band of frequencies.
Quote:
How much signal and picture improvement can I expect if I replace all the coax in my system with real copper wire, assuming I can find a solution to putting on the connectors.
Zero, unless you happen to repair a defect in the process. It sounds like you have a defect.
Quote:
I see in your earlier above post that you're using a PCT 4 amp, so according to the article you may indeed need pure copper in your cable.
There is no technical basis for such a need in all but extreme cases. If one has the needed data for the amp in use (current draw and minimum input voltage), it's power supply (output voltage and current parameters), and the technical data for the coax to be used (DC resistance of core and shield per unit length), it is not difficult to do a little math to determine the coax length at which CCS would no longer be suitable for use without swapping power supplies.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 4-Sep-2017 at 2:08 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote