View Single Post
Old 29-Jun-2012, 2:35 AM   #10
whiskeyhill

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349010b3624c7
I'm having fair results with the U8000 mounted in the attic, and had been considering a chimney mount. Not being eager to play with the chimney strap set-up, I'm now leaning toward a gable end mount. This would put the antenna within feet (vertical) of what the chimney mount would be, and would most likely be easier to install (for me). It would be mounted at the NE corner of the house, resulting in shorter cable runs.
My concern is the grounding setup. While the RG6 would enter the house near the base of the bracket, I would need a good length of grounding wire to reach . With the odd contour of the house, I may need 50 or 60 feet. Also, is it correct that I would need to run two lengths of ground wire- one from the antenna, and one from the grounding block? The terrain at the NE corner of the house is concrete and/or asphalt, hence the long distance to get to soil. A ground rod outside of the basement sub-panel is the closest option.
If this setup is possible, how should I run the copper wire? Along the roof shingles? This is a brick house with aluminum gutters. And, where can I find the necessary #8 or #10 copper wire- stranded, I assume? I believe GroundUrMast says shielded or unshielded. I know the idea is to run the copper with as few bends as possible, but how to secure it, and cross over the aluminum gutter?
Having said all this, I'll add that the chimney is closer to and is a straighter-shot to the ground post.
Thank you.
whiskeyhill is offline   Reply With Quote