View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2012, 7:05 PM   #1
Mr.B

Please help with antenna choice. Do I actually need two? (Brossard, Montreal)

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this, so if I'm asking questions that have already been answered, sorry for that. But please guide me to some threads that already discuss these issues.

So I'm willing to cut the cord, I've done my research and here's my report (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df9c08b833b57)

There are a few things that are not clear to me so I'm kindly asking for help, pleeeease .

I'm interested in receiving the channels in GREEN and YELLOW and I'm willing to install the antenna on the roof. Money is not a problem in antenna selection since I'm willing to get the right one from the beginning .

Now the questions ...

1. I do not know how to choose an antenna based on the info on the report. Can someone make any suggestions please?
I figured I can subtract the Pwr from the NM and in case the result is negative I need an antenna with enough gain to compensate for that in order to end up with a positive value. Is that the way it really works?

2. I've read that too much gain can actually "break" the channels that actually don't need gain at all (e.g. the ones that are just a few miles away). So by getting an antenna with enough gain to receive the channels that are far (70miles) is there any risk that I might "break" the channels that are close here in Montreal? So in the end the question is how do I choose the antenna that provides the right balance in order to get the close and far channels with good quality as well.

3. The last question is the one that puzzles me the most. I want to receive both bunches of channels that you see on the map (NW - 15,21,19,12,10 and SE - 22,14,32,43,13). Do I need two antennas for that? Or is there an antenna that can receive both? I know I could use a multi-directional, but is it strong enough? Or I need to get 2 directional

Thanks a lot guys in advance for your comments and keep the site alive.
It's a a great resource and great help!
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote