View Single Post
Old 28-Jan-2012, 5:06 PM   #16
RenoPaul

OK, I'll take the hit on the engine analogy. That comparison didn't belong in this thread to begin with. My bad.

This is to be expected. When you move the antenna, you change the ground plane.[/QUOTE]

So, if I understand you, and rely on antenna modeling software, VSWR testing in a model can be totally different in a laboratory, and can and probably is totally different in the real world, and will vary greatly in real world installations.

Considering all of the replies regarding how badly a fractal antenna fails in modeling, then seeing a few companies (including the military) working on fractal antennas (applications including Bluetooth, cell phones, and etc.)

My final comments on this subject are:

In theory, everything is theoretical, but in application, everything is applicable. The Ruckman style Fractal TV Antenna works for me, and probably will for thousands of others.

While all the modelers decide a fractal antenna isn't worth considering, and retailers are selling products that anyone can purchase from $ 19.99 to well over $ 150, I'll be happy spending $ 6.39 plus tax on a Radio Shack matching transformer, spend less than an hour bending some scrap copper wire, and turning a few screws, and happily watch all of my local OTA stations.

Mr. Moderator, please close this thread. Thank you.
RenoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote