View Single Post
Old 25-Jul-2018, 2:14 PM   #1
Ray

Sutro Tower upgrade, FCC changes

Right now I have a combined AD 91XG and Winegard high VHF Yagi, and my reception is pretty good, but I'm over 100 miles from any transmitter, and sometimes it could be a little better. So I've been thinking about an antenna upgrade, maybe in the fall when I'll have more free time (I hope) and it won't be so hot up on the roof.

Anyway, the TV was on a couple of weeks ago when I heard an announcement about an upcoming upgrade to the Sutro Tower (San Francisco) antennas. I wasn't really watching and only caught a bit of it, but I think they said that it would improve reception. Does anyone know about this?

I did a little looking and haven't found much yet, except for an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, which also mentioned that the UHF band will end at channel 37. I hadn't heard about this until now. Does anyone know when this will take effect, and do you think that this will affect antenna design, with new models coming out? Should I wait on a new antenna until the frequency change is complete?

Last edited by Ray; 25-Jul-2018 at 2:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote