View Single Post
Old 14-Mar-2017, 2:47 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post

Not just because it's creating interference, but the interference is telling you that you have a short of some kind. Could cause a fire one day.

No, it probably means that the contact are noisy and the switch is failing. There is zero risk of fire but there is significant risk of a dark room when the lights eventually don't come on. There is no "short" of any kind, the term is misused due to a misunderstanding of what a "short" is. FWIW, the closed contacts of a switch comprise a "short" between switch contacts although an intentional one.

This, of course, assumes that the OP accurately described the symptom as a brief burst of interference when the switch is closed. I've seen numerous instances where this has been the case. My general expectation of the symptom, if it were the LED bulbs themselves, would be that the interference would be sustained beyond the initial switching interval. It's also possible that the problem is a poor connection of a bulb in its socket. A "dirty" or otherwise poor electrical connection at the bulb can cause that bulb or its socket to radiate electrical noise.

Ever notice how ambiguous descriptions of problems can lead to a spirited discussion of so many possibilities?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 14-Mar-2017 at 2:51 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote