View Single Post
Old 20-Jan-2010, 8:19 AM   #4
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDude View Post
Can I use a good quality splitter to distribute the antenna to all of those rooms. Would I need some kind of amplifier?
Yes, you can. Splitting the signal will reduce the amount of power going down each branch of the split. The more ways you split it, the lower the power will be going to each branch. The length of coax will also determine how much loss will occur before the signal reaches your TV.

If you're going to split the signal many ways and/or have long coax runs, then it is a good idea to include some kind of amp early in the chain (before the signal has a chance to degrade by much). Mast-mounted pre-amps usually work best because they are usually designed with very low Noise Figures (internally, self-generated noise) and can be placed as early in the chain as possible (right after the antenna). Indoor "distribution amps" will also work.

Once the signal has been amplified, the coax length and splitters will not have much affect on your signal any more.

The only caveat with amps is that you must watch out for overload. If the input signals are too strong, the amp will start distorting the signal rather than providing a clean amplification, and this can make things worse rather than better. For your particular situation, I think you are safe. None of your signals are strong enough to create concern for amp overload.

"Good" amps will have a Noise Figure spec of 3 dB or less. Some good quality pre-amps include the Channel Master 7777, Winegard 8275, or Antennacraft 10G202.

Quote:
Can I use my old Dish mount and extend a pole from to mount the new antenna when I remove the old dish
The TV antenna will take up a fair amount of space. The antennas have built-in clamps on the boom designed to grab onto a mast (usually up to 1.5" in diameter). Those clamps are usually in the middle of the boom, which means you'll need the mast to be spaced away from the house quite a bit to allow room for the boom and antenna elements. A J-mount (which is what your picture shows) might make that difficult.

Quote:
I'd like to get the antenna up a few feet higher from the top of the roof.
Ideally, the antenna should be at least ~4 feet above the roof. This makes sure that the roof itself has minimal impact on the performance of the antenna.

You might consider using one of the following:
  • Chimney mount - Requires zero holes. Uses stainless steel straps to attach a mast to a chimney (e.g., Channel Master 9067)
  • Eave mount - Brackets at the side of the house connect to the eaves at the apex of an A-frame roof. Holes go into the side of the house instead of through the roof to minimize the risk of leaks. Mast can extend above the roof vertically.
  • Wall mount - Brackets attach to walls at the side of the house. Holes go into the side of the house instead of through the roof to minimize the risk of leaks. Mast can extend above the roof vertically.

Quote:
Thanks again for you help.
You're quite welcome.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote