View Single Post
Old 27-Mar-2020, 1:19 AM   #1
FoxPopuli

Greetings from close-to-Chattanooga TN

Hey folks, you can call me Fox.

A few months ago my grandfather expressed disgust at his cable provider as they bumped up the price of his subscription for a second time in a year (Charter Spectrum) and he asked me why we couldn't just hook up his old antenna from the late 1980s again.
The rig seemed to be an old Winegard Low VHF that had taken quite a beating over the last few decades. At that point I knew next to nothing about OTA TV, only remembering the Crappy Days of "Hey go move the rabbit ears. That looks great, now just keep holding the antenna!" from my youth.

I was unsure whether OTA was a viable possibility for modern television service, considering he had just bought a 65" 4K Samsung a few months before. I was seriously concerned that upscaling of the OTA image would be necessary and would look worse that watching his worn out VHS tapes of Hee Haw.

But dutifully I started doing some research, and with a lot of help from Tyler the Antenna Man on YouTube I figured out not only what antenna we should buy, but also which ones we should avoid.

We've recently deployed his antenna, and cannibalized a lot of the wiring and equipment left on his house from two decades of switching back and forth from company to company trying to find the best deal on TV service.
He now gets 40+ channels, some of which look as good as those offered by cable/satellite, on multiple televisions in his house.

I dare say that this is becoming something of a hobby, as we employed trial and error in getting his reception to this point, and now I'm joining TVfool to try and glean knowledge from people with far more experience.

It's a pleasure to be here, and thank you for the chance to join you.
FoxPopuli is offline   Reply With Quote