View Single Post
Old 20-Sep-2014, 5:58 PM   #83
Pete Higgins

tripelo,

As always, very interesting information. I am guessing that the channel I lost by moving my UHF antenna up to 40’ is a phenomena similar to your channel 50 between 18’ & 22’. The ~ 6 dB weaker signal probably didn’t stop demodulation at your location but with my already weak 1 & 2 edge signals 6 dB is a real killer.

You are much better equipped to perform meaningful analysis with your Sencore SLM 1456 than I am using my software defined radios. My SDR’s have ~50 dB dynamic range and I believe the Sencore has ~114 dB (-98 to +16 dBm) range. It also appears to support direct readout in dBm and all I can do is compare relative signal strength differences in dB. But then I expect your Sencore cost you slightly more than the $8 to $9 that each of my SDR tuners cost me. These little devils plug into a USB port on a computer and tune from 24 MHz to 1.7+ GHz with good sensitivity. In addition to their limited Spectrum Analyzer capabilities I use a free program called SDR Sharp, under XP & Windows 7, to listen to commercial FM, tune the Ham bands (including all the local repeaters), VHF & UHF air and NOAA weather broadcasts. I even downloaded a plugin that allows me to start them scanning and stops on an active channel. I posted some information about them here:

http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hd...r-10-00-a.html

When I posted my dual HDB8-X picture I couldn’t remember how you told me to make it show up on this site. If you have time, can you post that information again?
Pete Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote