View Single Post
Old 15-Nov-2017, 5:07 PM   #17
shenrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
On my Samsung TV, they have the signal meter buried in the menu. I have to go from menu to support to self diagnosis (of all things, you think it was a medical dictionary!) and then my signal meter with a satellite dish appears and the SNR numbers, etc. are all there. It tells me my received signal strength and picture quality et al. Your TV might have another location in the menu where you signal strength is located, depending on make and model.
ill have to take a look at our sets then. now you have me curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
Obviously shenrie, you're much more savvy with a computer than me. I feel a bit embarrassed at my computer skills (if you can call them that!)...

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and where you find pay dirt with your particular antenna(s). I would certainly be interested.
psh, no reason to be embarrassed at all. and they aren't really computer skills, its more like forum savvy is all. maybe im the one that should be embarrassed, lol. most computer crap still eludes me.

I will most definitely post up what we end up going with, does and doesn't work etc. might be a while though. currently working a full time and a part time job trying to make ends meet while we fight for my wifes disability status. she hasn't worked since feburary and short term disability ended in august. money isn't exactly flowing well right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAZ View Post
Without actually being there, it is hard to say what is going to work best with regard to location of your signal splitter. Length is very, very important. Keep your cable runs as short as possible.
that's why I asked if it was better to go to center. that way the cable runs have equal lengths from splitter to ant and each set. does that make sense?

Quote:
Use RG6 cable and be sure to ground your system. It can actually improve reception.
great info. I had no idea about grounding, but makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Not sure who to recommend on a splitter. You might be best with trial and error. With regard to mounting your antenna. The most convenient location often times does not produce the best results. Again, trial and error. One person watching the tv/signal meter and the other moving the antenna around......
np on splitter. lowes is close, ill start there. and understand trial and error. ill bust out the walkie talkies with the wife and go from there. great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
FWIW, online reviews are useless for selecting an antenna since >90% of the reviews don't provide any information that might actually be relevant to YOUR situation.
oh ya, I take all online reviews with a grain of salt. I usually only read the negative ones anyway. those tell me more then the good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
When it comes to splitters, I just tell folks to go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the Ideal branded splitters. They're good enough for almost any application. Heck, you can even go to Walmart and buy the ones there, they'll also work well enough. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone actually needs the "best" splitter that was ever made (whatever that might be).
not interested in anything gold plated. just something that wont fall apart as im unpacking it from the wrapper...like it did with my purchase from ole radio shack.
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote