View Single Post
Old 26-Nov-2012, 5:23 PM   #1
bobo007

Got some amazing signals! Need help to optimize :)

Hey all!

Newbie here.
Before dishing out cash on my own equipment I borrowed my father's TERK antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-FDTV1A-Di.../dp/B001UE8KUW

I plugged it into my LG HDTV, turned on the amp that came with it and started scanning last night. With it out on the deck in the yard, it caught a stunning 20 channels nearly all watchable in full HD! I had it pointed north and was able to catch ABC as well.

Today I did the map from my home and noticed that there are two strong towers coming from 60 degrees and 141 degrees so I tried pointing it mid-way (around 80 degrees) from the roof of my garage. I caught ~17 channels which were very watchable except for the american ones which kind of broke up

Here is the map:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49c1f799467f

Now, since this antenna is doing a good job I'm thinking of keeping it...but it's indoor so I tested it in the attic today. Works nearly as well as outside in both North-ish and South-ish directions...but it is a little worse that outside (I have metal siding on the sides of the house).

I have tried it without the amp like some suggest it overloads the antenna, but it's MUCH worse without it.

I could use some advice on...
- whether I should stick with this antenna and find the optimal location
- which direction should I be pointing my antenna based on the map to get the most variety of quality channels
- does it matter how long my coax cable is? I'm using a 100foot currently
- should I get an directional antenna instead?
- or maybe get a 4-8 bay amplified and stick it in the attic hopefully pointing it in both directions?
- and finally, I'm weary on putting it on the roof as I hear weather will impact signal...especially in our harsh winters here in Montreal

Phew!!! So many questions

SUPER excited that we get such a nice signal here, but I just want to optimize.

Thank you all in advance!!!!
-Bartek
bobo007 is offline   Reply With Quote