View Single Post
Old 30-Oct-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
johnodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I'd suggest a simple UHF Yagi. Good, focused beam with extremely sharp nulls at 90°. Plus, they're long but not very tall, a good choice for a height-limited attic as compared to a 4 or 8 bay UHF antenna. Actually, I'd suggest getting two of the same model and make a proper 90° UHF-only array (two equal length cables plus a reversed splitter), then combine with the CS600 using the RCA amp. The 751 gets "re-gifted" to someone else.

When the angles are 90°, combining with a reversed simple splitter has about the best odds of working, but it's still a crap shoot, especially in an attic, due to signal reflections that still might make it into the undesired antenna. You will loose about 6 dB of signal from each antenna so keep that in mind. Worst case is that you'd need a custom, single channel combiner which would likely run $125-150 which would limit combining losses to less than a dB or so.
I think this may be my best option...

I hooked up the cheap, little DB2 antenna to my bedroom TV. All I did was sit it on my bed and pointed it to 36degT and scanned. To my utter amazement, I pulled in everything that Allentown has to offer: RCH9, RCH38, RCH39 and RCH69. Better yet, I got the only channel I really cared about (RCH46) @ 100% signal.

However, I also was still able to receive a LOT of the Philly channels even though I was pointed directly at Allentown. I'm going to assume that this could cause me some issues. So, I think using 2x UHF YAGI's (one pointed at 36degT and one pointed at 123degT) + 1x CS600 (pointed at 123degT) is the way to go for me. This way I'm assuming I can combine the two UHF YAGIS with the reversed splitter and feed that single line + the single line from the CS600 into the pre-amp. Correct?

@ADTech...can you recommend a UHF YAGI I could pair with the CS600 and would best suit my needs? Maybe the AntennaCraft MXU47 or similar?

Thanks for all of the great advice!

John

Last edited by johnodon; 31-Oct-2014 at 9:13 AM.
johnodon is offline   Reply With Quote