View Single Post
Old 30-Jun-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Before I go any further:

How long is the coax from the antenna to the CM3414 distribution amp?

(I really hate the new black labels on the CM34xx series of amps. Before PCT International bought out Channel Master, the labels were white and a little difficult to read. The new black labels are nearly impossible to read.)

Have you grounded the coax with a grounding block?

The coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

I have three concerns about grounding the coax and mast:

1. For your personal electrical safety, grounding the coax will drain any leakage current from your connected AC operated equipment to protect you from shock. All AC operated equipment has leakage current, even when it is operating properly. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it isn't there. If your equipment becomes defective, you will be protected from shock.

2. Grounding the mast will drain any buildup of static charge to reduce the chance of a lightning strike.

3. Grounding the coax will provide a continuous shield from antenna to tuner that will reject interference. This will keep strong signals from getting directly into the TV set and make FM filters and attenuators more effective.

Last edited by rabbit73; 30-Jun-2015 at 11:02 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote