View Single Post
Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
timgr

Hi - I would do a couple of things. I'd first run a reception report at significantly higher than 20 feet, say 40 or 50 feet. This might tell me whether I'd be better off to focus on the Boston TV market, or Springfield, or even Providence. It would also give an idea of whether making the effort to raise your antenna very high will be worthwhile. Then I'd try an antenna pointed toward WGBH (Boston) and then WWLP (Springfield).

If you are ready to buy an antenna, given your reception report, I suggest you go big right from the start. For UHF coverage, the Antennas Direct DB8e would be an excellent choice (I own one). It is a UHF-only antenna, and that will be fine for the Boston stations, but for Springfield you will also need high VHF to get WWLP and some of the Providence stations (you can try pointing at Providence too). To add VHF, the Antennacraft Y10713 is often suggested, mounted on the same mast as the DB8e and utilizing the RCA TVPRAMP1R mast-mounted preamp to mix the signals for a single coax lead-in.

If you can get above the tree tops in any of those directions, you will attain a significant advantage.

Last edited by timgr; 8-Oct-2014 at 12:02 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote