View Single Post
Old 25-Mar-2015, 7:19 PM   #1
McFly

Tweaking reception

I set up my antenna recently and overall I'm fairly happy with the reception. However, there are a number of channels which I "should" receive according to the Signal Analysis report, but they either don't come in at all, or I get them for a few days at a time, then they disappear. I've also had channels that worked fine for weeks, just disappear. I understand that things like surrounding buildings or weather can block reception. There's one large condo building to the southwest that blocks my LOS to Niagara region, so I don't get CHCH (Hamilton).

Here's my report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0429bc56358

My setup:
I'm on the 15th floor of a highrise apartment building. I face southeast and have an unobstructed view of Lake Ontario, I can even see the land on the other side on a clear day. My antenna is mounted on my balcony. I've tried swiveling it around on its mast to fine tune the direction, but if I gain a couple of channels by adjusting the angle, I lose others. I test reception by running the channel detect on my TV. I've tested with both a smart and a dumb tv (both Samsung).

Another issue that may affect my reception is that because I'm on the top floor, there is no balcony above. Instead it's a concrete "roof" with an overhang, sort of like an awning, that's about 3 feet from top to bottom. I can provide a pic if needed. I'm wondering if that "lip" of concrete could be affecting the signal.

Equipment:
- Clearstream 2 antenna
- 20 ft new RG6 cable
- surge suppressor
- flat window cable (to run coax through window and be able to close it)
- 2013 Samsung F series smart tv
- antenna cable connected directly to TV (no converter or other exterior box)

I don't expect to get every channel, but I'd really like to get CBC! Currently I only receive CBC every so often. I get CBLFT (French) all the time with no issues. If there are ways I can improve the signal, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote