View Single Post
Old 29-Jul-2011, 8:55 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

If we use the original TVFR from your opening post, yes, a preamp is in order. You already own the DB-8 so I'm going to suggest you add a Winegard YA1713 to provide the best shot at receiving real channel 13. I'll also suggest an Winegard AP2870 or a Channel Master CM7777 pre-amp. Both offer inputs for a UHF antenna and separate VHF antenna. Either preamp would able to overcome the loss of the lead-in coax... but don't expect any amplifier to 'clean-up' a signal that has been degraded by multipath or other forms of interference. (You need a clean, usable signal from the antenna which is going to be determined by the selection of mounting location and the capability of the antenna. Only then can an amplifier help.)

Extra connections may not have significant loss if made up correctly, but they offer points of failure that can be avoided. I would recommend using a single piece of RG-6 rather than patching two or more together.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Jul-2011 at 9:02 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote