View Single Post
Old 7-Feb-2011, 2:58 PM   #1
lmcglinchey

Question OTA reception problem 40 miles NE Atlanta

I am an electonics virgin and received a crash course this past weekend when I installed a new blue-ray dvd player and an antenna into our existing system. I'd like to cancel satellite but need to get the antenna working better first. We have an older Bose 123 system that I'm using primarily for the speakers, a Sony blue-ray player, a DirecTV DVR box and a Visio VF550M TV that says it has an ATSC/QAM tuner.

My problem is that I get channels 2.1, 2.2, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 34.1 and 34.2 only. I'm interested in getting ABC (which I do), CBS, NBC and FOX (and I don't.) It seems weird to me that I would get 1 "green" channel and 2 "red" channels (based on my TVFool report) but no yellow channels which is where CBS, NBC and FOX are. Any suggestions? The report follows:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf415234130c3
I have an Antennacraft U8000 mounted in our attic (2-story house) on an 8' pole about 2 feet above the attic floor. I did it all by myself. No major injuries and I didn't break anything or fall thru any ceiling either. There is no metal within 5 feel of the antenna except maybe joist connector thingies and the mast it's clamped to. Coax runs from the antenna to a diplexer, shared with satellite tv, then to an amplifier/splitter then down stairs to the first floor, to another diplexer. From there, the coax from the antenna side goes to the tv and the satellite side goes to the satellite box.

I have tried rotating the antenna, unplugging the cable, scanning (of course nothing shows up), plugging the cable back in, rescanning, and then I get as the 7 channels listed above. If I go too far to the west, I only get 34-1 and 34-1. If I go more WSW I get the 7 channels but 34-1 and 34-2 always come in the best. Figures. They're hispanic channels and I don't speak Spanish beyond ordering tacos and beer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I get a longer mast I might be able to go a couple of feet higher. What about a preamp? Are the diplexer messing me up?

Thank you in advance...

Laura
lmcglinchey is offline   Reply With Quote