View Single Post
Old 18-Feb-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

In your previous thread you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbuckwa View Post
Looking to get over the air tv at my location and would appreciate any help with antenna purchase and installation. NBC comes in with rabbit ears but PBS is a must for me and it appears to be the most difficult station to pull in. There is lots of tall trees in my neighborhood that probably won't help, thanks.
Is it possible that the trees are getting worse in the direction of PBS? Trees block TV signals.

Is 12 feet the best you can do for antenna height?

Exactly what direction is your 7694 antenna aimed? Can you show us a photo of what the antenna "sees" when it is aimed at PBS (307 degrees true, 319 degrees magnetic)?

WITF PBS, real channel 36, virtual channel 33.1 is your weakest desired channel. WHP CBS is in the same direction, but it is almost 10 dB stronger; PBS needs all the help it can get. Unfortunately its azimuth is between two stronger stations, at around 270 and 336 degrees true.

The advice that you were given previously wasn't really bad, because you need an antenna with a wide beamwidth, but the problem is that real channels 23 and 47 are almost 50 dB stronger than PBS. If you try to add a preamp to make PBS stronger, it might be overloaded by WXBU and WPMT. It might also cause tuner overload, but you could insert an attenuator after the preamp power inserter to prevent that. You could try to add a medium gain preamp like the Antennas Direct Juice and see what happens.

An alternative would be a CM3410 further down the coax.

Another problem for your location is that you have some strong local FM transmitters that might interfere with TV reception, but an FM filter would help.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/2...6/Radar-FM.png

Another possible solution would be to use an antenna with a narrow bamwidth that puts a null on each side of its aim to make the stronger signals weaker, but then you might have to add a VHF antenna for ABC.

Last edited by rabbit73; 19-Feb-2017 at 12:16 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote