View Single Post
Old 30-Jan-2017, 8:19 PM   #1
Triplejnj

Jackson, NJ: Antenna assistance requested

Hi everyone I'm looking for some assistance from the experts as this is my first venture into OTA land.
Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4d63464781e

I picked up a ClearStream 4v antenna and mounted it up in my attic (I have a very steep roof!). The antenna is up at the highest point in the highest peak of my attic and facing straight out the front (plywood, vinyl siding) at about 32-33 degrees in order to pick up the NY stations just under 50 miles away. My goal is to pick up just 4 basic networks ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. With my setup I was able to pick up strong signals for WCBS 33 and WNBC 28 (and about 20 other channels) but no trace of WNYW 44 or WABC 7.
I then added a Winegard LNA-200 and my signals for 33 and 28 were even better and I picked up an extra 30+ channels of varying strength but still no trace of WNYW or WABC. I did have the antenna in several different locations of the attic and found the spot is in now to be the best of the ones I tried. Facing straight to the front of the house, theres no roofing material or additional walls (besides the front of the house) in the way. I have attempted rotating a little bit in either direction -- nothing drastic. I never was able to see the 2 missing signals and only found that the stations I was pulling in were weakened by the rotation.
As an experiment I ventured onto my roof (freaking out my wife) and held the antenna at the highest point I possibly could (probably around 4 feet under where it was in the attic), pointed it in the same direction at 32-33 degrees and had my wife run a scan inside. Still could not pick up the WNYW or WABC signals.
At this point Im thinking I need to try a better antenna with stronger VHF high and UHF gains, but not sure which one to go with. I want to stick with my attic mount as I think it would be sufficient and didn't see much advantage over outside. That and I don't want to die trying to mount it. Any suggestions?
I had also posted this request for help on AVSForum and got some good input to start with:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...requested.html

Last edited by Triplejnj; 30-Jan-2017 at 8:22 PM.
Triplejnj is offline   Reply With Quote