View Single Post
Old 19-Oct-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Sethbob,

Thanks for the thorough write up.

If I am understanding correctly you have a preamp feeding into a distribution amp? Double amplification can get tricky. Therefore, first thing I'd do is yank the preamp. Overload can manifest itself in reduced reception. Did you recently install the preamp?

Second, if I were doing this, combing antennas is not your goal here. If I'm reading your set up correctly, both systems are not separate. I would separate them via an A/B switch. Often if you are combing two antennas designed for the same band without any filters or bandpass you set up the stage for signal clashing. This will exhibit itself as reduced reception.

I have two antennas at my location. Both are on completely separate coaxes and they have different missions. They both work exactly as intended and I switch between them via A/B switch.

If I were you, I'd get one antenna feeding into the house, confirm it's working. Then, undo it, connect other antenna and confirm it's working. With a A/B switch inside then you can toggle between antennas.

It's not perfect, but when you are chasing UHF signals with two UHF antennas, you've got to let them work without another antenna introducing clashing signals.

Now there are methods to tie two same band antennas together, but as I mentioned, those require specific bandpass and filtering. It appears you don't have that.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote