View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Desert Rat

With some time off from work over the holidays I was finally able to get back to this project of trying to receive Fox Ch 11, RF 25, from Mt Bigelow in Tucson. Thanks for all your recommendations, I believe I used most all of them and have some good news, and some weird news.

First I purchased an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier and installed it with my existing rooftop UHF antenna. I tried different aim points, both horizontally and vertically. No sign of Ch 11.

Next I purchased a CM4228HD and installed it with the preamp on the roof in place of my old UHF antenna. Again I tried many aim points with no success.

I was ready to give up, but thought I would give it one last attempt using more of your recommendations. I removed the antenna from the roof, hooked up a new shorter coax with the preamp, and used a smaller TV that I could take in my backyard that faces the mountains where the transmitters are located. With everything on the ground and the antenna facing the mountain I did a scan, and WOW! Immaculate reception! I'm now getting channel 11.

The next step was to determine what was now allowing me to receive a decent signal. Was it the new shorter coax with no splitters, a different TV, antenna location, etc. Any guesses?

I'll spare you all the trial and error, but it turned out to be the antenna location. I thought if I could receive a good signal with the antenna on the ground it would be even better if I could find the ultimate spot on the roof. So I tried various spots on the roof and even attached the antenna to a mast that I could move around manually trying different locations, heights and aim points. Turns out it would not work at all anywhere above 5-6 feet. In fact it would not work as well even raised 2-3 ft. off the floor of my back porch. But sitting directly on the concrete facing the mountain I could get 71% on the strength meter. Ok, it's getting weird now.

I went back to the TV Fool report, and sure enough, if I put in 1 ft. antenna height it gives me better numbers than 10 or 20 feet. 1 ft. = +4.5 db, 10 ft. = -0.7 db, 20 ft = -1.3 db. So apparently the TV Fool calculations knows about this weirdness. I did some searching on this and best I could find is that sometimes with 2 edge signals and mountains you can get a phenomenon where the RF signals will travel along the ground following the terrain. OoooK. It's true, antennas and RF are a little bit voodoo.

I reconnected to my standard house cables, splitter and big TV and it all works with the same good signal strength, as long as the antenna is on the ground.

Now I have to figure out the best way to setup the CM4228 on the concrete floor of my back porch. Any thoughts on mounting an antenna to sit on the floor, or any other tests I should try would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. This is truly a good service you provide.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 29-Dec-2014 at 4:17 PM. Reason: typo
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote