View Single Post
Old 21-Sep-2016, 1:55 AM   #40
jerrymc

Hey guys:

I did some experimenting this weekend:

I ran one coax directly from the large antenna (No splitters, pre-amps, or dist. amps) and all stations came in pretty well during the day.

I relocated the cable run from the opposite corner of eve to the closer corner of the roof eve. (Left side)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6w...ew?usp=sharing

I tried bypassing the dist. amp, (Pre-amp only) but the picture was pixelating pretty bad. Without the pre-amp, the 5 TVs in the house got only a couple stations.

I re-installed the CM dist.amp and also closed/folded in the 3 longest elements and increased my KABC (177Mhz, the lowest frequency station) by about 6%. (see pic)

We also experimented by raising the antenna to the top of the pole, but it decreased the signal, so I lowered it as far as I could so it would clear the tile roof if I rotated it via the rotor motor.
I also replaced the pole with a Winegard 18 gauge steel one.

I need to remove the 2 splitters and try to combine them somehow, but the difficulty in this is that the 2 wired-in cables (Downstairs living room and master bed) are inside a TV box on the side of the house. (3 other TVs are connected to a splitter in the attic.)

Here's how it's all connected:

1. Antenna to CM pre-amp (exterior)
2. Pre-amp to CM dist. amp (attic)
3. Dist. amp to 4 port splitter (One goes to each of 3 other bedrooms.
The 4th goes to the TV box on side of house.
4. TV box connection has one 2-way splitter for both master bed and downstairs living room.
5. Coax is house grounded; pole is not grounded yet.

I'm pretty sure the coax is all dual-shielded RG6 only.
Would replacing the short coax between the antenna and pre-amp with quad shield have any significance in gain?

And do you think that a 5 port splitter would be best for our situation?

Thanks again for your expertise.

Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
Using RCA rotator motor now to tweak.

Location Radar
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote