View Single Post
Old 19-Dec-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

If it's accessible, I'd bond to a Steel well casing which can be an outstanding connection to earth. But... that's not guarantied. The utility neutral is usually the best source of ground so I would still continue my bonding run from the tower and it's rods though to the PUD electrical service neutral, using the size wire called for by the tower engineer.

I don't have detailed knowledge of the guts of the various surge protection grounding blocks. And if I did, it may change with each production run. Still, the general assumption is that they employ some type of solid state device which will 'turn on', shorting the center conductor of the coax to ground if the voltage between the center conductor and ground rises to a certain voltage level. The amount of energy that can be absorbed and failure mode will depend on the exact solid state device used. If the specification is published by the manufacturer, you would look for a high joule value. It can be assumed that even a nearby strike will have many orders of magnitude more joules of energy than any bit of silicon can absorb.

(please note that I edited my first post for clairity)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote