View Single Post
Old 22-Feb-2016, 6:02 PM   #3
Pay_No_More

shoman94

Appreciate the response!

- Yes, I did "OFF Point" to favor the CBS VHF signal. I was installing this antenna in the week following a large snowstorm, and only had access to the mounting point via a 24 foot ladder. There was about a foot of snow on the rooftop. So, each time I tested the received signals by adjusting the antennna pointing for best signal reception, the ABC VHF signal was strong but the CBS signal was weaker and of poor quality (pixelating). The UHF channels desired were generally coming in strong when pointed at 44-45 degrees. With the Super Bowl approaching, I just needed a strong CBS signal. I know that antennas will pick up signals on their back side, and I was running out of daylight. I did a quick test of pointing about "180 out" and "WOW" CBS was one of my strongest received signals. I locked this position down, and my helper left with his ladder. CBS worked fine throughout the big game.

- I have already learned that the large tree in my front yard does indeed obscure the antenna in its current location. This is even without leaves on it! So, I will move the antenna to the alternate location over the garage. Just need to do this on a warmer / dry day. This is why I chose not to even try an attic installation, as the front of the house (where attic installation would make sense) is beneath the large tree.

- I know my TVfool report does look great. But, the house site is "OTA challenged" as it sits down in a slight valley with trees all around. You can see the distant trees sit up on a ridge line. Beyond the ridge (high ground with a roadway), lies nice and clear shot to the towers of interest.

- The antenna location over the garage will have a much less obscured view from nearby trees (in my yard). However, there is a distant tree line behind the houses across the street. Those trees are on ground that slopes "upward" / and are slightly elevated from my house. My rooftop is probably at the same elevation as the driveway of the home (you can see in the attachment) directly in the aim-point angle. Those trees "fill in property" between the homes and are not a thick forrest. But, they are large oaks and poplars that will fill out with leaves. These more distant trees are in my LOS/path to the desired TV towers. See question below.

- I have 90 days from purchase to return the Channel Master, if required. ~ Mid-April. Time to play.

- I will route the RG-6 from the new antenna location by the shortest possible route. Perhaps adding ~15 feet to my total runs. To do so, I will get a length of quad shield RG-6, exterior grade connectors, the appropriate stripping / compression tools. I will make sure all interior cables are of this quality.

- Should be able to keep the "runs" below 100 feet. Will make a decision on a pre-amp subsequent to testing the reception after relocating the antenna.

- I listed the in-line coax surge protector, as this seems like a reasonable protection. Please let me know if this will negatively impact an OTA installation. I think it nominally presents zero signal attenuation, but will short out excessive currents on the signal/conductor line. From the TII Technologies web site / data product sheet:
KeY proDUCt BeNeFIts
- Ideally suited to protect Broadband CATV subscriber’s “COSTLY” HDTV receivers, DVRs, cable modems, home networking components and interfaces from potentially damaging surges
- Will reduce “out of warranty” repair expense caused by surge lightning damage. Reduces service outages by protecting against induced high‐voltage surges that may appear on the center conductor of a coaxial drop cable
- Unique In‐Line® design is impedance matched to 75 ohms and is virtually transparent to all analog or digital bi‐directional signals transmitted from DC to 1.0 GHz
- Here is a link to the manufacturer datasheet: http://tiitech.com/repository/datash...ry/210_212.pdf
Question:

I have read in several locations that "tilting the antenna up", may improve reception, when "looking" towards an obstruction. I am wondering is something I can try, if the distant trees present a problem to reception? If yes, is there a TV antenna to mast mounting device (clamp) that has an elevation angle adjustment?
Pay_No_More is offline   Reply With Quote