View Single Post
Old 5-Nov-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
protivakid

Thank you both for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Yes, you can do that. The VHF antenna will not be amplified, though, since the Sky's amp is mounted inside the outdoor housing.

Install and aim the VHF antenna so that it works well. If you find that it needs to be amplified, you will need completely separate down-leads and you'll have to install the U/V combiner at the outputs of the respective combiners.

If the VHF antenna is fine as a passive installation, then you can combine the two antennas using either a Radio Shack 15-2586 or our EU-385CF as close to the two antennas as you desire. Do NOT substitute a Holland or TruSpec/PicoMacom (or any other) UVSJ as the two liste above are the only ones known that will pass your pre-amp power THROUGH the UHF side of the device which s what you need.
While I would love for this to work in a passive install, I am doubting it will. Question though, since the mohu "power injector" is pretty much the same as the Winegard LNA-100, could I possibly still use one cable and pick up an LNA-200, putting the outdoor pre-amp with the VHF antenna, and having the power injector feed both that pre-amp and the one built into the mohu Sky? The "power insterter" that comes with the LNA-200 seems to be the same, I just don't know if it would be strong enough to feed both pre-amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Reception of a Fox affiliate is a challenge given that two stations, WFXT & WTIC are broadcasting on the same frequency, real CH-31.

You may want to explore alternate mounting height. A high gain antenna with a high F/B (front to back ratio) would also help. The Antennas Direct 91XG would be a top contender based on that criteria. Still, you could face the prospect of needing to take additional steps such as ganging two antennas to improve the F/B.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024
FOX has been a tough one for me. There was probably some reason, but why both Boston, MA & CT Fox stations both picked to use channel 31 is beyond me. I guess they figure only a small population (myself included) lives on the boundaries of both signals. I figured early on this interference is probably what is keeping me from getting FOX though there is a hill on the CT side of me so I am surprised the already weak signal doesn't get blocked some by that. Again there is probably more science to this than I know of. I looked at the 91XG but it seems to be very directional and the site itself warns that hilly terrain can be tough. I already have a 2Edge between myself and the Boston stations so with my hilly terrain I may be best sticking with my mohu and trying to consistently pull in VHF-12 from RI. On clear days it comes in fine on its own of the mohu is pointed in the general area, though when the weather gets wet I am out of luck.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote