View Single Post
Old 6-Aug-2015, 5:05 PM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the new tvfool report. I see that you have moved it from Emperor & Pickering Beach to L1S2W9 O'Dell Ct and Turnbull Rd. It doesn't make much difference with LOS signals but it makes a lot of difference with your weak 1 and 2Edge signals.
Quote:
I'm currently getting lots of channels, including many that the system says are 2edge. On the chart at the link above, I most everything up to WKBW, the exceptions being WUTV and CHEX analog (poor image, no sound, don't care. 9, in high VHF, is in and out.
That sounds pretty good to me.

WUTV is on real channel 14; most 4-bay antennas don't have as much gain at the low end of UHF. And they have even less gain for VHF channel 9.
Quote:
So, I'd like to fix the fading, and ideally add ION to my list.
ION is pretty weak, has adjacent channel interference from CHEX analog on 22, and is at 153 degrees magnetic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2495601-post2041.html
Quote:
I'm in Ajax, just east of Toronto. My Toronto stations are at 245 magnetic, and the Buffalo ones at 165. If I point at Toronto I don't get anything from Buffalo, if I point at Buffalo I lose CFTO and the rest get spotty. So I pointed it around 185, splitting the difference.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2277401-post1100.html
Quote:
I live in Ajax, just east of Toronto. Using the south-most edge of my roofline as "south" (I don't know what it really is), Buffalo is at about 185 degrees, and the CN Tower is around 255. I have a knock-off four-bay and found I can get a sort of compromise if I point it around 195 degrees. That gets me most of Toronto except 9, and Buffalo kinda works. If I point directly at Toronto or Buffalo I get everything from that location, but of course that's non-optimal.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2299185-post1974.html
Quote:
Buffalo is about 160-175 degrees true and the CN Tower is 235. I currently have a four-bay pointed around 190, which sort-a works. I'm debating whether to add another antenna.

My concern is that I have little room to work with, and another 4-bay wouldn't fit. However, if I were to point the 4-bay at the CN Tower, there would be room behind it for something more linear, like a Yagi.

Whatever I do use, I want to be sure that I strongly reject the signals from the Tower. I always thought a Yagi was more directional and would be better at this, but looking over reception charts I can't really see any difference?
Splitting the difference doesn't always work. For best results the antenna should be aimed directly at the transmitter.

Before combining two antennas aimed in different directions, you must be certain that each antenna gets what you want from that direction. Otherwise, there is no point in combining; it's not going to get better.

If splitting the difference doesn't work, and combining doesn't work, you must switch between antennas with an A/B switch, which requires you to rescan after switching unless your TV can add a new channel after scan like a Sony.

An alternative would be to have your primary antenna connected directly to the TV antenna input, and your secondary antenna connected to a separate tuner with its output connected to an aux input of the TV.

You haven't told us much about your antennas, where they are located, and if you are using a preamp.

The way that I optimize aim for an antenna is first aim for max signal strength. Then I adjust aim for best signal quality as defined by SNR and errors. The two are not always at the same azimuth. Signal quality is at least as important as signal strength for digital TV signals.

I first learned about the importance of signal quality when using an Apex DT502 converter box with dual signal bars that measure signal quality and signal strength. I first adjusted aim for max signal strength. I then turned the antenna slightly to the right; the signal strength went down a little, but the signal quality went way up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DualSigBars.jpg (43.9 KB, 2918 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Aug-2015 at 6:33 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote