View Single Post
Old 19-Sep-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Vorkosigan

I was having issues on all UHF channels today and so I did a bunch of things. I took the second antenna I had made and tweaked it a bit to make it better. This one was able to fit in the attic. I moved it around to a couple of different places and tried with and without an amp up there.

It seemed like it was getting worse the more I tried. Then I realized that the cheap Radioshack transformer I used was coming apart. Luckily I had another one that wasn't from Radioshack that I could switch it out with. I also replaced the coax from the antenna to the UVSJ because I didn't trust that the one I was using was any good.

Currently my setup is the same as it was except that I mounted the second antenna I built in place of the first antenna I built.

KFXA is coming in much better now. Signal Strength of around 90-95% and the the Signal Quality is better and more stable. I haven't noticed any dropouts yet, but I'll need to give it a few days to see if it stays that way.

The funny thing is that now KPXR is the one channel that has issues. Similar to the ones I was having with KFXA. It's not a priority channel, luckily.

Stephanie, I think an outdoor antenna is in my future. However, even if I bought one now, it would be awhile before I had help to install it. I think if there was more room in my attic, a better antenna up there would work just fine.

I am open to suggestions on UHF antennas that would work good for me. I'm thinking one that doesn't need a reflector so that I can pick up KWKB on the back side like I am doing now?
Vorkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote