View Single Post
Old 12-Nov-2014, 10:04 PM   #62
mulliganman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Thanks for the report.

While the fix helped for a while, it looks like it was not permanent. Since the errors increased when the signals were stronger, this suggests to me that you should try increasing the attenuation between the C2V and the input of the AC7.

I think you said that you had 3 of the 3 dB attenuators. So, try 6 dB (they stack in series don't they?) for a few days, and then increase it to 9 dB before giving up on this idea. This should not affect the reception with the 91XG.

Code:
    91XG > LNA 100 > 
                    \
                     AC7 > Roamio > Basement TV
                    /
  C2V > attenuator >
If you add the whole stack of attenuators to the input jack of the AC7 it might put too much strain on it. You can insert them in the middle of the coax with a short jumper coax and an F81.

Have you tried tilting the 91XG up a little to see if it improves the reception of Fox?

I'll stick around with you until I run out of longshot ideas to try, or until you give up and settle for what you have now.

Are the coax lines from the antennas grounded with grounding blocks that are connected to your electrical system ground? I'm thinking about interference with this question. It's also a good idea for electrical safety.

Do all your pieces of AC operated equipment have 2-wire power cords, or do some have 3-wire cords?

Are you using power strips that have provision for coax grounding? If so, are you using that feature? It's not always a good idea to do that.

The power strip will ground the coax shield if it is connected to a properly wired 3-wire outlet. But, the coax center conductor might pickup electrical interference from the other devices plugged into the strip, and the TV signal might be degraded if there is a surge protector connected between the center conductor of the coax and the shield.

What make and model TV is directly connected to the Roamio output? Does it have a signal strength indicator or a Diagnostics Screen? Are you using an HDMI cable, or what between them?

Virtual 33.1 KSPR-DT, real channel 19, is your strongest station, but its virtual number is not shown on your tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24362e8886d03
I put two of the 3dB attenuators back to back connected to the C2V coax, an F81 connector, then a short piece of coax to the AC7. Oddly, it seemed to not really affect the signal strength of KSPR.

I know you asked about the virtual number of KSPR. ABC is 33-1, CW is 33.2, and Antenna TV is 33-3.

I don't know about the grounding blocks.

Your question about the AC operated equipment having 2 wire power cords or 3 wire cords I need some clarification on because I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you using power strips that have provision for coax grounding? If so, are you using that feature? It's not always a good idea to do that. Yes I have this surge protector in use in the attic (but am unsure about any coax grounding provision): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to the model of the TV I have connected to the Roamio: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know the TV has a signal strength indicator. I'm not sure about a Diagnostic screen. I'm sure all of my TV's tuners are "better" than any of the DVR's I have on hand (Tivo Roamio and a Channel Master DVR+, which is not in use). It seems all TV's seem to be that way...

I'm also sending you a Pm with the same coordinates I sent ADTech so you can get a better idea of location, obstacles, etc. I am also going to send you a second set of coordinates for something that I am wondering if it could be causing me interference.

I've asked this a couple of times but haven't gotten any responses so I'll ask again. If I moved the 91XG to the peak of the 2nd story of my home, what equipment would I need for mounting it there. I'm hoping you may be able to answer after looking at the coordinates I gave you.

Last edited by mulliganman; 12-Nov-2014 at 10:11 PM.
mulliganman is offline   Reply With Quote