View Single Post
Old 2-Apr-2017, 10:47 PM   #13
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thank you for the edit.

I do see a building in the signal path, which would account for the different azimuth. The signals try to sneak around and through as best they can.

Quote:
How do I find out where the best reflection is?. Is it just via trial and error?.
Yes
Quote:
I guess I have to place the antenna at different locations and monitor the signal quality/strength?
Exactly

I have been making tests with an indoor antenna and have found that antenna placement is very critical because of the reflections that make hot spots and cold spots.

I'm using a GE attic antenna indoors on the ground floor with buildings and trees in the signal path. My report is similar to yours but of course the signals are much weaker inside. I have a VHF-High channel 13 that has a listed strength almost as strong as the UHF channels, but the GE antenna has much less gain for VHF because it is just a folded dipole for VHF-High; UHF is a 4-element beam.

I use the Diagnostics Screen of my Sony to monitor signal strength, SNR, and uncorrected errors. Notes and picture of antenna added.

I calibrated the signal strength scale with my signal level meter, so I know what the readings mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sudheeshbTVFmap3.JPG (97.9 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg MyReportsnip2.JPG (73.6 KB, 1163 views)
File Type: jpg SonyDiagScrGE34792.jpg (189.4 KB, 1152 views)
File Type: jpg SSCHART KDL32R400A.JPG (118.4 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 3-Apr-2017 at 2:26 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote