View Single Post
Old 4-Oct-2011, 3:32 PM   #1
PhotoJim

How much signal strength is enough?

Hi all,

How do you know if you have enough signal strength?

I recently installed a new antenna for my ATSC TV. I'm getting signal strength of between 87% and 100% depending on the channel. This is in fair weather with no precipitation. The TV is a Panasonic 46" plasma 1080p but my guess is that signal strength percentage varies from brand to brand.

How do you know if you have enough strength? I get all the channels perfectly today, but would an installer be satisfied with these numbers? Would it be better to try different mounting orientations or locations (this antenna is attic mounted but I ask the question generally). For example, I could mount my own antenna higher and possibly add some signal strength, but I'm not sure if I'm already at the threshold where it would gain me nothing, or if it might improve reliability in heavy rain or other poor weather.

In my particular case all of my channels are line of sight so I don't have to deal with tropospheric effects.

How do you know if you've done the antenna installation well enough?

I ask the question generically. I looked in the archives and couldn't find anything.

Once again, I appreciate the site. I'm really enjoying my new antenna setup and the advice in the forum convinced me to buy a less expensive antenna than I was contemplating, and it's working extremely well.

Jim
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote